Search This Blog

Saturday 9 January 2016

Becoming a University Student


So today once more I have to begin with an apology, I have yet again neglected this blog when I promised myself I would continue! This is it now though- 9th of January so 'new year new me' and half way through my first year at Uni already means I need to start using my time more efficiently and basically stop giving up on things!
 So today a brief catch up- as I mentioned I have just finished my first semester at the University of Manchester studying English Literature and French. I have to say I am in no way finding it as easy as I thought I would! 4 weeks into the Xmas break and still I have started none of the essays I was supposed to do- let alone started revising for those exams coming up! and they said first year was easy.....
So how have I found my new life as an adult? Well, to be honest not as good as it should have been. I think we all are affected by those idealised visions that we have throughout the course of our lives. Generally, when we start a new chapter, be it a new job or moving away, we always begin thinking that this is not only one new beginning, but a major turning point in the course of our lives. Of course it is, in a sense, but at the same time we can't go along expecting everything to immediately sort itself out. The trick is to work through one thing at a time and that might be why I've come home from Uni not certain whether I'm going to go back. Not because there's really anything wrong, but because its not perfect, because I haven't come back a completely different person, the person that I wanted to be. But today is that day that that will change. Today I decide to work on things slowly because things worth having don't happen in an instant. Moving away, meeting new people, living alone does not mean I suddenly turn into a sophisticated adult without any faults. Moving away simply means I have started that pathway, and just because I haven't reached my goals within those 13 weeks, in no way suggests that they are unobtainable.

No comments:

Post a Comment